Thank you for the many words of comfort regarding Mayte's passing yesterday and am sorry I didn't have time to respond to all.
All we know is she was a perfectly healthy dog 5 days ago until we woke one morning and noticed she was breathing heavily. She then ran out into the garden and we thought well it's not that serious but let's get her checked anyway.
Taking her to three different vets the third being a 140km round trip. Mayte was diagnosed with a lung infection there and the first day she was treated she initially responded well until a dreaded phone call said she took a turn for worse. We decided to go pick her up as she maybe stressed not being here at home but ten minutes later the devastating news she had gone. A few years ago she was successfully treated for a blood parasite infection called Hepatozoon but we now know this can lay dormant in the dog for years and may resurface at any time, another possible reason she passed so quickly.
We can take pride in the fact that her life would have been very different if we had not rescued her as a pup some five years ago but it doesn't take away the loss we feel right now.
Giving an insight into her character she really was a one off. She was almost human in the way she communicated to us with those eyes of hers. She had a huge personality and I always likened her to that dog in the film The Mask after the dog had put the mask on.
While we are devastated to have lost her so soon we can celebrate a life of love, comfort and security she would never have known on the streets. We love you Mayte and our love for you will live on forever.